Saturday, December 3, 2016

Advent 7

Matthew 25:35 says, "[F]or I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me."


Andy  Grammar is a young man I've watched grow up - his dad, Red Grammar, shared his love of music with his son, along with his love for the world and God's people.  So, the challenge today is to figure out how you can help feed those in your community who are hungry, following Christ's statement a few verses after, in Matthew 25:40:  "‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,[g] you did it to me.’"

In Troy, we have the Food Pantry, and plenty of  other opportunities in local food co-ops, and Bountiful Baskets allows you to donate baskets of vegetables and fruit for $19.50.  Join together with friends, and see how you can help.  Wherever you are, take a look for local food pantries, co-ops and programs that help us feed the hungry.  Our sister church in Eureka, St. Michael's and All Angels, has a soup kitchen once a week, with homemade bread made by Rev. Pattiann Bennett.  See if any of the churches in your town need some help with cooking or serving or baking bread.

Don't forget that nothing stops you from inviting people home for dinner as well.

And let's not forget, feeding the hungry can also mean helping to feed their souls - invite them to church with you!  If they enjoy singing, Troy has an All-Church sing once a month - help them get filled with the Spirit.

Feed the Hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment