Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Tuesday Sermon: Gracious Acceptance


          Today's reading from Tobit is one of the reasons my professors didn't quite know what to do with me.  I tend to see things a bit differently than other scholars – even when it comes to St. Augustine.
          In this reading, scholars see Tobit as overreacting to a goat his wife is gifted with, on top of the pay that she earned.  He automatically jumps to the conclusion that it must be stolen, and is angered when she points out that she received it with her pay, and he doesn't believe her.  At this point, scholars believe that Anna was harsh with Tobit, essentially mocking his blindness and telling him to return it himself if that's what he thinks.
          On the other hand, I was gifted with rheumatoid arthritis that got really bad in my 30s, to the point where it would take me 2 hours to dress, where I had to learn to write with my left hand since my right one didn't work, and eventually everything had to be typed, but then that hurt too.  For 3 years, I wondered if I would end up crippled, unable to care for myself as my body got worse and worse.  Not only was there chronic pain, which made me a real … pain to deal with as I snapped at everyone, but I had to learn to ask for help.  Worse than that!  I had to learn to be gracious in accepting help – even if I didn't ask for it!
          The thing I want to point out about Tobit is actually found in Chapter 1 of that book:  "But I alone went often to Jerusalem for the festivals, as it is prescribed for all Israel by an everlasting decree. I would hurry off to Jerusalem with the first fruits of the crops and the firstlings of the flock, the tithes of the cattle, and the first shearings of the sheep. I would give these to the priests, the sons of Aaron, at the altar; likewise the tenth of the grain, wine, olive oil, pomegranates, figs, and the rest of the fruits to the sons of Levi who ministered at Jerusalem. Also for six years I would save up a second tenth in money and go and distribute it in Jerusalem. A third tenth I would give to the orphans and widows and to the converts who had attached themselves to Israel."
          Tobit was a generous and charitable man, long before he was afflicted with blindness.  He actually took a bit of pride in his accomplishments and his righteousness.  So as his wife was working, her employers knew of the current hardships the family suffered, and felt that finally! they might be able to provide something in return for Tobit's goodness.  Providing Anna with a goat would give the family some well-deserved meat for their table, but making it as a bit of a bonus for Anna, it wouldn't seem quite so much like charity, so that Tobit could still keep his honor intact.
          Hearing Anna's question to Tobit, “Where are your acts of charity? Where are your righteous deeds? These things are known about you!”, I think she's pointing out that now it's time for him to feel as others might have felt with his own acts of charity.  Not only would this allow others to be a blessing to him in their time of need, but he would also have to learn graciousness in accepting such a gift with thanks, and not the harsh anger at not being able to do what he used to do. 
          It's hard for us sometimes to allow others the opportunity to give back when they've been blessed.  Our attitude however, makes all the difference.  Learning to give thanks graciously is, I think, a blessing that God provides to us all at some point in our lives.  We allow others to share their own blessedness with us, and do for others as we are able, at various times in our lives.  It's all part of loving one another as Christ asked us to do.
          Let us pray:  Dear Lord, let those of us who have much and those who have little gather at the welcoming table of the Lord. May rich and poor alike remember that we are called to serve one another and to walk together in God's gracious world. With thankful hearts, we praise our God who like a loving parent denies us no good thing.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment