Thursday, March 7, 2019

Lent Madness: Mary v. Martha

Today begins Lent Madness, a time when we are reviewing the lives of 32 saints over the course of Lent.  I am the first to admit that my ability to understand the sport-like nature of this competition is quite limited, but, everyone has the ability to vote for their favorite between two saints that are introduced each day.

This first day of Lent is between Mary and Martha of Bethany, sisters to Lazarus.  The descriptions at the link are more than sufficient.  I will merely add below a part of a project I did a number of years ago - a fictional first person account of Martha, just to give a bit of an alternative viewpoint.  But post in the comments if you have a favorite, and why.  What draws you to one person over the other?  How is that reflected in your own life?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MARTHA

He took the time to teach me.  He is the Christ, the Son of God come into the world, and yet, He took the time to let me know that what I do is important, and my cooking, planning and serving is appreciated, needed, and necessary to keep things going behind the scenes, so to speak.

At the same time, He reminds me that the curious nature of Mary is equally valued.  She listens and questions, seeking understanding and helping others find understanding where they might have been too timid to ask.  We must each serve, according to our own nature and inclination, and all bring value in the sight of God.

I think what Christ truly opened my eyes to is that I, too, can appreciate Mary and her ways, without needing to chastise her for neglecting our guests or being unseemly in the minds of others, but rather see that she cares for them in a different manner, helping to keep the learning and conversation going, helping others feel more at ease with their questions.

Christ’s announcement to me still holds me in awe – “I am the resurrection and the life.  He who believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.”  He brought Lazarus back to us among the living, but even had he not, Lazarus would still never truly die, for he would be with our Father in heaven.  Lazarus’ resurrection will serve the community as a living reminder of our life eternal in Christ.

We all serve the cause of Christ in our own way.  I’m grateful for the opportunity to serve in my own capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment