Monday, March 18, 2013

God's Presence

Today's reflection discusses the presence of Christ in all things, the animating force as reflected in the works of Jyoti Sahi

It might be that Sahi is influenced by Hindu beliefs.  Some might argue that this viewpoint is what is referred to as panentheism:  a belief system which posits that the divine, interpenetrates every part of nature and timelessly extends beyond it.  God is viewed as the eternal animating force behind the universe.  The Bhagavad Gita states in verse IX.4:  "By Me all this universe is pervaded through My unmanifested form.  All beings abide in Me but I do not abide in them."

The psalmist wrote:
Where can I go from your Spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend into heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in hell, behold, you are there; if I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you (Psalm 139:7-12).
Generally, panentheism is more of an Eastern belief than Western, but it has been found in some Christian sects.  The idea of seeing God all around you is easy when you look into the face of a child, contemplate the beauty and complexity of the universe or the human body or helixes in DNA.  We get to see glimpses of God in everyday things, and still only touch on a small part of the Divine, who is infinitely greater than we can understand. 

We have a feast of God's presence all around and within us.  Does that make you uncomfortable, like the author of the reflection?  Or comforted, that God is indeed, omnipresent?

No comments:

Post a Comment